PHP MySQL Introduction
MySQL is the most popular database used with PHP Language. With PHP we can connect to the database and add, edit, delete, view data records.
What is MySQL?
MySQL is one of the most popular relational database systems. It is free and easy to install. The data in a MySQL database are stored in tables. A table is a collection of columns and rows.
MySQL database server offers several advantages:
- MySQL is free, fast, secure, powerful.
- MySQL is ideal for both small and large applications
- MySQL uses standard SQL(Structured Query Language).
- MySQL compiles on a number of platforms
- MySQL is free to download and use
- MySQL is developed, distributed, and supported by Oracle Corporation
PHP + MySQL Database System
- PHP combined with MySQL are cross-platform (you can develop in Windows and serve on a Unix platform)
A query is used to query a database for specific information and have a recordset returned.
Look at the following query (using standard SQL):
SELECT fname FROM Student
The query above selects all the data in the “fName” column from the “Student” table.